This trip was organized by:

The London and Paris trip was organized by International Tours of Lansing. They did an awesome job making sure we had a wonderful experience.

Link: http://www.intltour-lansing.com/





Saturday, December 18, 2010

Mid Michigan Derby Girls 12.18.10

During the summer of 2010 I learned from a friend that roller derby was taking over Lansing. I was invited to visit the Lansing Derby Vixens while they practiced at the West side YMCA. I can't skate. My night job restricted me from being able to commit to thrice weekly practices. Then someone had a thought about the performances that I do - and with that it was suggested that I be a commentator for their bouts. I figured as much as I bother people with my ramblings maybe this would be a good opportunity to turn the negative around to a positive.
A few practices and a lot of notes later came a scrimmage between the Lansing Derby Vixens and the Jacktown Rollers. I had three horrible ideas for a derby name. I decided to put it out to the crowd to come up with a suitable name. The Mitten Mavens gave me three choices and I put it to the audience to decide what my derby moniker would be. And from this was born - Blacque Mandu. Heck yeah - that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
My first taste of commentating was supposed to happen in Port Huron at a bout between the Lansing Derby Vixens and the Blue Water Derby Girls. I was supposed to be the "2nd" so I could learn how derby commentating is done. Well the 1st never showed. I was nervous but I must have done well because I continue on. Thanks to all involved. It has been a beautiful, fun, exciting journey through the world of derby.

A huge thank you to the Mid Michigan Derby Girls for having me come through for their bout with the Jacktown Rollers on 12.18.10 - Big Fun!

And black by popular demand - this is Blacque Mandu commentating for you...
Pre-game stretch

A little warm up.

Derby - YEAH

Good times. Thanks to the Mid Michigan Derby Girls for inviting me to commentate.

Trying to calm Ms. Double-Oh-Seven down after her pointing out to me that I said her number incorrectly. These women are serious about EVERYTHING derby. I learned that I better get things right and triple check the lists that are given to me. Her number was given to me as simply "7".

It's family y'all.

Get your derby on. You can either go with wheels or without wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment