This trip was organized by:

The London and Paris trip was organized by International Tours of Lansing. They did an awesome job making sure we had a wonderful experience.

Link: http://www.intltour-lansing.com/





Saturday, December 4, 2010

Noel Night 4 December 2010

In passing a co-worker mentioned a holiday event that was to happen in Detroit. He told me that that it was a yearly event that was full of music, performers, sights and sounds. He also said that he would e-mail more some more information on it. The Saturday came, which was the day of the event but I did not receive an e-mail. The afternoon was slipping away. I wanted to venture down to Detroit but I had no idea what I was looking for or where it would be. After some Google guessing I happened upon the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History website. The page I found had details about the 38th Annual Noel Night. How have I not heard of something that has been going on for that long?

Ripped from the museum’s website:
The 38th annual Noel Night is the Midtown Detroit Cultural Center’s holiday open house with over 45 participating institutions; the Charles H. Wright Museum will feature Santa photos ($10 each or $15 for group of up to 10; additional photos are $5 each, frames $3 extra), Ballet Renaissance, the Detroit Metropolitan Youth Ensemble Bell Choir, face painting, African and salsa dance & instruction, and Kwanzaa gift-making demonstrations.  The evening's festivities culminate with a community sing-along on Woodward Avenue led by the Salvation Army Band — a long-standing Noel Night tradition.  Free shuttle service is offered between participating venues.
Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
315 East Warren Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48201-1443
(313) 494-5800

chwmuseum.org
Rejoice • Relive • Reconnect

I’ll let you know that I’m not one of those happy holiday persons. I’m definitely one that would be okay with skipping past Halloween right through Mother’s Day, however, this sounded intriguing. I had to go and I couldn’t find anyone to ride with me. Have camera – will travel.
Detroit Institute of Art

I made my way to Detroit. As soon as I exited off of I-75 South I knew I was headed into something big. Warren Avenue was very crowded for a Saturday evening. The street was full of parked cars, moving cars and people. I was fortunate to find a parking space near Wayne State University and the Detroit Public Library. My mind was open, my camera was ready and I was willing to accept whatever I could find. I received a schedule of events as I entered the library, I took a moment to breeze through it and I knew I was going to be overwhelmed if I tried to see “everything”. I decided to take my time and stay open to whatever came my way. I heard the sounds of a choir floating down from the second floor – let the freeze frames begin…
Detroit Public Library

I learned about Ernie Harwell.

I heard lots of singing.

I learned about Kieznier [ Hasidic & Ashkenazic Judaism music ] and heard a song that you would probably know. I forget the name but it makes you want to kick your heels up.

Kids are so free to be.

I saw Santa Claus.

There was an ice sculpting contest.

Holiday fire? This was very cool especially sense these people made the cold sacrifice to perform with very little clothes. I'm sure it is a safety issue but it was breezy and upper 20s.

Music of all types was EVERYWHERE. Saxophone sounds by Duane Parham.

Oh look another 'free' person.

Abraham Lincoln on stilts.

A festive church - well at least it had holiday colors.

On I-696 one of the power towers was lit with a message. I thought the picture would turn out better.

      Well that's my photo story - you should consider putting Noel Night on your holiday plans for next year. The people were great. It was easy to get around. And there was more stuff to do than what could possibly be done in the 4.5 hours alloted. You could probably go for the next 38 years and still see something new.
~Melik


No comments:

Post a Comment